Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tearooms and Cottaging. Sounds So Refined, Really.


I really had no idea that this was such a scene. More has been written on this topic in the past few days that I really have nothing to add. Except that I eagerly await the next non-gay Republican to be outed.

It does, in a way, remind me of my high school days and my high school girlfriend. It was during the early 80s and she, being a Good Catholic Girl, we didn't exactly have access to anything resembling a bedroom. Instead, our standard plan was to tell her parents that we were going for dinner and a movie. The dinner was always good, I guess, yet we somehow managed to skip the movie. This gave us the much needed time to indulge ourselves.

So sex for the two of us (I was her first) was usually in the back of my SUV on some deserted, country road. Truth is, we had a lot of good times in the back of my rig; the thrill of being out on some secluded patch of road or out in the countryside underneath the stars. (One day at dusk a wayward hunter did stumble upon us.)

I look back fondly on those days and nights of illicit and adoloscent sex with my Good Catholic Girlfriend in the back of my SUV. No doubt, the tradition carries on to this day with teenagers across this country.

Fortunately, I was able to out-myself from behind the steering wheel and folded-down seats and the starry night into a home with a bedroom and a door.

Whatever shadenfrude many of us are feeling about Larry Craig, it's really a shame that a grown man has to cruise for sex in a public bathroom stall. I don't blame the Republican party and the Religious-Right entirely, just mostly.

No comments: